NATIONAL LIBRARY CONGRESS 2017 IN JYVÄSKYLÄ 7th–9th JUNE
Organized by the Finnish Library Association, the National Library Congress is Finland’s biggest event in the library field. The event is held every other year, and it has been a tradition in the field since 1882.
The next National Library Congress will be held June 7th–9th, 2017 at the Jyväskylän Paviljonki Congress Centre (Lutakonaukio 12). A total of 400–600 library professionals, decision-makers and other interest groups are expected to attend the event.
- The Library Act, which took effect at the beginning of 2017, will be discussed. We will hear about various policies from representatives of the Ministry of Education and Culture. Award-winning journalist Erik Fichtelius, supervisor of the Swedish national library strategy, will be a guest speaker.
- Chairperson of the Finnish Library Association, Jukka Relander, is also the chairperson for Eblida, the organization that lobbies for copyrights in the European library field. Relander will discuss the international challenges facing the library field. The first day of the event will be a day of envisioning where we will hear perspectives about the future by representatives of the Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra and the Finnish Museums Association.
- One important theme is the library’s changing operations environment. Digitalisation and e-material change library work. Ari Muhonen, director of the Jyväskylä University Library, asks a provoking question: The library no longer exists. What can we replace it with?
- The library is a social integrator and part of the community. We will not only hear local examples from Säynätsalo in Jyväskylä, but examples from Namibia and Tanzania as well. Literacy is once again a topical issue and for this reason reading among boys, online reading and reading recommendations are discussed at the event.
- The annual meeting of the Finnish Library Association will be held Wednesday, June 7th, 2017 at the Jyväskylän Paviljonki Congress Centre. The chairperson of the Library Association will be stepping down from the post and so an interesting election is in store.
- A field-related trade fair will also be organised in association with the Jyväskylä National Library Congress 2017.
Organisers of the event include the Finnish Library Association, Jyväskylä City Library – Regional Library, Open Science Centre, University of Jyväskylä, JAMK University of Applied Sciences Library, Humak University of Applied Sciences, and the Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland.